Recently user privacy has become a concern for developers to make them feel safe and comfortable, and, WhatsApp application has provided a feature to lock the application for privacy security. Then, how to lock the WhatsApp application so that it cannot be opened by just anyone?
WhatsApp application is one of the most popular instant messaging applications today. Total users of applications under the auspices of this Meta Platforms globally reached 2.2 billion people until the first quarter of 2022, according to the Business of Apps report.
German company specializing in market and consumer data, Statista reports that more than 21.6 million iOS users and 55.3 million Android users have the WhatsApp app installed on their phones.
Although every smartphone is equipped with a built-in security to unlock the screen, sometimes users still feel anxious. There are times when they lend their cellphones to other people, which are definitely not locked. So that the borrower can freely open a number of applications, including WhatsApp.
In fact, a lot of data that is private or confidential in the application. If you are someone who often lends your phone to other people, this WhatsApp lock feature might come in handy.
For the record, this WhatsApp lock feature is not available on all devices. For Android users, only devices with fingerprint security features with the Android 6.0 operating system and above that support the Google fingerprint API can only.
For example, this feature is not supported on the Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, or Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Also, while using this feature the user can still answer calls if the app is locked. So you don’t have to worry about being late in answering calls because you have to unlock the app.
For iOS users, for devices with Touch ID security, authentication is using fingerprint. Meanwhile, for devices with Face ID security features, authentication uses facial recognition. However, WhatsApp does not provide a lock feature with facial recognition authentication on Android devices.
If Touch ID or Face ID fails to unlock WhatsApp, the user can enter the iPhone passcode. While on Android devices, the passcode option is missing. Here’s how to lock the WhatsApp application.
How to Lock WhatsApp on Android
- Open WhatsApp, tap More options or the three dots at the top right.
- Go to Settings, and tap Account, then select the Privacy option.
- Scroll down and select Fingerprint lock.
- To activate, tap the enable panel on the right. Fingerprint unlock.
- Next touch the fingerprint sensor to confirm the fingerprint.
- You can select the length of time for which fingerprint authentication is requested. It can be immediately, after 1 minute, or after 30 minutes.
- In order to see text messages in new message notifications, we recommend enabling the Turn On Show in Notifications panel.
How to lock WhatsApp with Touch ID or Face ID on iOS
- Open WhatsApp Settings.
- Tap Account, select Privacy, then tap the Lock Screen option.
- Turn on Require Touch ID or Require Face ID.
- Choose how long WhatsApp is in standby mode before Touch ID or Face ID is required to unlock.
That’s our discussion today about how to lock the WhatsApp application on Android and iOS devices. Hopefully it can be useful and thank you for reading this article.