Learn how to turn off Windows Defender either permanently or temporarily. Follow the tutorial to turn off Windows Defender that we made in Windows 10 permanently and temporarily.
Microsoft Defender is an antivirus feature built into Windows 10 that works to protect your device from rootkits, spyware, malware, and other hackers. However, Windows Defender often considers files or applications that are actually safe to be considered dangerous.
Usually, this is found when you want to install an application. No wonder some people choose to turn it off. Because it cannot be removed, Windows Defender can only be turned off, either temporarily or permanently.
How to turn off Windows Defender is fairly easy. Here’s a tutorial on how to turn off Windows Defender, which we have compiled from various sources.
How to Temporarily Turn Off Windows Defender
- First, open the Windows Defender application. For more speed, click Start and then type Windows Defender or Windows Security.
- If so, select Virus & threat protection. How to turn off Windows Defender
- In the Virus & threat protection settings section, please select Manage settings.
- To turn it off, please click the Real-time protection toggle until it turns Off.
If you want to turn it back on, all you have to do is click the Real-time protection toggle to turn it on.
How to Turn Off Windows Defender Permanently
1. Local Group Policy
Group Policy Editor is a Windows feature that is often used to view, create, and modify group policies, including turning off Windows Defender which can be done with this feature.
Here’s how to turn off Windows Defender permanently:
- The first way to turn off Windows Defender, press Windows + R to open RUN, then type gpedit.msc
- Please go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus and look for Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus.
- Double click on Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus then select the Enable section. If so, click Apply and then click Ok at the bottom.
- Restart Windows.
If one day you want to reactivate it, then the method is the same. The difference is, you select Not Configured in the Turn of Windows Defender Antivirus section.
2. Registry Editor
Registry is the central database of the Windows OS. Almost all the features of the OS are located in the Registry, Windows Defender is no exception. If you want to turn off Windows Defender, you can use this feature. Here’s how to turn off Windows Defender:
- First, press Windows +R to open RUN, then type regedit
- Please go to
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE PoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender.
- Right-click on the Windows Defender folder > New > DWORD (32-bit) value.
- Name it DisableAntiSpyware then press Enter.
- Double click on the DWORD (DisableAntiSpyware) that was just created, then change the value data from 0 to 1 then click Ok.
Please reboot your device, Windows Defender has been successfully disabled.
That’s how to turn off Windows Defender temporarily and permanently. Now you can install various applications without the hassle of virus notifications from Windows defender. Good luck with the Windows tutorial above.